How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Satisfied Customers: 117370
Experience:  Attorney experienced in commercial litigation.
Type Your Consumer Protection Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am a U S Citizen who worked in the UAE. I worked in ABU

Customer Question

I am a U S Citizen who worked in the UAE. I worked in ABU DHABU in 2008 and got laid off in 2008. I incurred unpaid debt on a bank credit card. I live here in the USA, The last quarter of 2015, I received calls and E-Mails from a collection office which is supposedly part of a Maryland Law firm (Could be a SCAM). Can this debt be legally collected after 7 or 8 years, and can it be reported to the USA CREDIT BUREAUS? Please include your lawyer contact information(Name, Phone #, E-Mail address)with the answer to my question. PLEASE, I need accurate professional advice.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
There is a 15 year limitation period under UAE law for them to sue you in UAE for the debt. So this is still within that limitation period. We cannot, as we are prohibited by state laws and site rules, enter into any conversation with you off the site and we cannot by site rules provide you our name or contact information, as we cannot represent you.
As far as the law firm in MD, you can check them with the MD bar and find out if they are a legal entity. As a collection agent, they must provide you 1) Proof of the Debt, 2) an Itemized statement proving the amount of the debt and 3) Proof they have legal rights to collect the debt, pursuant to the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act. Send them a letter stating you deny the debt and you are demanding proof of those three things under the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act and tell them if they refuse or fail to do so, you would pursue a case against them for violation of the FDCPA for up to $1000 per violation plus attorney's fees and you will file a complaint to the Federal Trade Commission. The collection agency can report the debt they are collecting to the US credit bureaus as the collection agency is in the US.
The collection agency also has the ability to negotiate the amount of the debt as well, so that is an option for you as well.

Related Consumer Protection Law Questions