How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Phillips Esq. Your Own Question
Phillips Esq.
Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Satisfied Customers: 19125
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
Type Your Consumer Protection Law Question Here...
Phillips Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I just received a statement from the sheriff's department by

Customer Question

I just received a statement from the sheriff's department by mail of a judgment creditor seeking to levy upon my property. This was a credit card debt that was never paid off back in 2006. I have great credit now and was advised not to attempt in paying off because it can damage my credit again. I own my home. How do I deal with this? What are my rights? Are they able to garnish my wages etc.?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 1 year ago.

In what state do you reside?

Were you served a notice of the lawsuit? That is, were you served with the Summons and a copy of the complaint?

If so, did you file a response to the complaint?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you Phillip for responding! I only got it in my regular mail and sender was the Sheriff's department :-(. I tried understanding all it says but I couldn't because it's all legal jargon which is not my field. From my understanding is that if I don't file an exemption within 15 days then they will sell my property. Is this correct? They are asking for $6773.40. Pretty scary. I don't have a problem negotiating with the creditor but I was just getting the wrong advice - I'm assuming. After 10 years I thought it would go "away".
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I did not file a response to the complaint.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I reside in the state of California
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I read it a second time. My understanding now is that the property to be levied upon is on all accounts standing in my name. Two bank accounts are direct deposits from SSI and SS for both my parents (they are 79 and disabled and I'm their primary caregiver and designated payee. I am paid by the county to care for both of my parents (In home supported services IHSS living in my home). I have my car which is used to transport them and for my other part time job in which I work from home to pay off my student loans. As I mentioned, I can negotiate with the creditor. What is worrying is filing this form and making a mistake :-).
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. I will look them up.
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 1 year ago.

You are quite Welcome!

Goodluck with your case,

Related Consumer Protection Law Questions