Consumer Protection Law

Consumer Protection Law Questions? Ask a Lawyer Now.

Consumer Protection Law

I just received a statement from the sheriff's department by

Customer Question
mail of a judgment creditor...
I just received a statement from the sheriff's department by mail of a judgment creditor seeking to levy upon my property. This was a credit card debt that was never paid off back in 2006. I have great credit now and was advised not to attempt in paying off because it can damage my credit again. I own my home. How do I deal with this? What are my rights? Are they able to garnish my wages etc.?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Consumer Protection Law
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
3/8/2016
Consumer Protection Lawyer: Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law replied 1 year ago
Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law

In what state do you reside?

Were you served a notice of the lawsuit? That is, were you served with the Summons and a copy of the complaint?

If so, did you file a response to the complaint?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thank you Phillip for responding! I only got it in my regular mail and sender was the Sheriff's department :-(. I tried understanding all it says but I couldn't because it's all legal jargon which is not my field. From my understanding is that if I don't file an exemption within 15 days then they will sell my property. Is this correct? They are asking for $6773.40. Pretty scary. I don't have a problem negotiating with the creditor but I was just getting the wrong advice - I'm assuming. After 10 years I thought it would go "away".
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I did not file a response to the complaint.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I reside in the state of California
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I read it a second time. My understanding now is that the property to be levied upon is on all accounts standing in my name. Two bank accounts are direct deposits from SSI and SS for both my parents (they are 79 and disabled and I'm their primary caregiver and designated payee. I am paid by the county to care for both of my parents (In home supported services IHSS living in my home). I have my car which is used to transport them and for my other part time job in which I work from home to pay off my student loans. As I mentioned, I can negotiate with the creditor. What is worrying is filing this form and making a mistake :-).
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thank you. I will look them up.

You are quite Welcome!

Goodluck with your case,

Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law