Consumer Protection Law

Consumer protection law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

We moved from Freeport, Grand Bahama and paid a purchasing…

Customer Question
We moved from Freeport, Grand...
We moved from Freeport, Grand Bahama and paid a purchasing agent to coordinate a 20' container of our personal belongings to be shipped to Apollo Beach, FL. The container is in Port Everglades, FL and is accumulating demurrage and detention charges at the rate of $300/day. As of today the port is owed $3092. We paid in full the $6000 fee that the agent quoted prior to leaving the island on 1-29-16. At this time he denies that the money is owed to the port, but they will not release the container until he pays the fees. Do we have any legal way to entice him to pay these fees so we can get our property?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Consumer Protection Law
3/8/2016
Consumer Protection Lawyer: Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law replied 2 years ago
Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law

If he has breached the contract, you need to file lawsuit against him to fulfill his part of the contract. That is, paying the appropriate fees to the port in order for your items to be released. The port cannot release items without the proper fees being paid. So, if the port is holding your items, it means that he is most likely not telling you the truth--he has not paid the fees.