How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Phillips Esq. Your Own Question
Phillips Esq.
Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Satisfied Customers: 19664
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
Type Your Consumer Protection Law Question Here...
Phillips Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

We moved from Freeport, Grand Bahama and paid a purchasing

Customer Question

We moved from Freeport, Grand Bahama and paid a purchasing agent to coordinate a 20' container of our personal belongings to be shipped to Apollo Beach, FL. The container is in Port Everglades, FL and is accumulating demurrage and detention charges at the rate of $300/day. As of today the port is owed $3092. We paid in full the $6000 fee that the agent quoted prior to leaving the island on 1-29-16. At this time he denies that the money is owed to the port, but they will not release the container until he pays the fees. Do we have any legal way to entice him to pay these fees so we can get our property?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 1 year ago.

If he has breached the contract, you need to file lawsuit against him to fulfill his part of the contract. That is, paying the appropriate fees to the port in order for your items to be released. The port cannot release items without the proper fees being paid. So, if the port is holding your items, it means that he is most likely not telling you the truth--he has not paid the fees.