How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ely Your Own Question
Ely, Counselor at Law
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Satisfied Customers: 102584
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
Type Your Consumer Protection Law Question Here...
Ely is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I had a customer in Lyon France use two fake names to

Customer Question

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I had a customer in Lyon France use two fake names to purchase products from me totaling $7,000usd I just recently found the customers Facebook and him taking a bunch of photos with the stolen product. Is it possible to sue him for theft as I am in the USA and he is in France?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

I am sorry to hear about this situation, Brandon. Please, tell me what state you/your company is in?

This is not an answer, but an information request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. Thank you in advance.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We are located in the United States, Connecticut
Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.

Thank you, Brandon.

Per Conn. Gen. Stat. § 52-59b, a person/entity can be sued in CT if they:

(1) Transacts any

business within the state; (2) commits a tortious act within the state, except as to a cause of action

for defamation of character arising from the act; (3) commits a tortious act outside the state causing

injury to person or property within the state...

Therefore arguably, this person may be sued in CT. They would have to be served internationally under the Geneva agreements for this, but this can be done. Any judgment may be registered in France to be enforced in France. However for the enforcement part one would need a FRENCH attorney, and of course for CT, one can use a CT attorney.

I hope this helps and clarifies. Please use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of TOP THREE FACES/STARS and then SUBMIT, as this is how experts get credit for our time. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars (or failing to submit the rating) does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith with a positive rating.

Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.
Hello again. This is a courtesy check in to see if you needed anything else in regards ***** ***** question because you never responded or replied positively. I am simply touching base. Let me know. Thanks!