Consumer Protection Law

Consumer protection law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

I have used your services many times and your knowledge and…

Customer Question
I have used your services...
I have used your services many times and your knowledge and skills have always helped me move forward with my personal or professional questions. The advice you are about to offer me will help me and my clients so much.
Since 2011 i have owned and operated my own business, Parliament LMC - A Lifestyle Management Company parliamentlmc.com
I bring my clients peace of mind because of the level of trust that they hold with me.
I am not sure about the knowledge that you have of coloured diamonds. I am confident that my inquiry will bring awareness to you of the incredible investment opportunity of coloured diamonds and surprise you with the possibility of fraud of the company and individual that knowingly lied to me and my clients about ten coloured diamonds that he sold to me and my clients.
Here is a youtube video that will help you with the validity of my inquiry:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lA4_52rBcBA
An individual Gerry Sumner who represented Capital CD (Capital Coloured Diamond) of Toronto, Canada, who charged my clients (3 of them) close to $500,000 for 9 coloured diamonds. The first sale was about 3 years ago and the last sale was 1 year ago.
After consulting many experts and auction companies, I have learned that all 9 diamonds are worth less than $40,000.
The heart break that I feel to share with my trusted clients that we were knowingly ripped off and lied to is undescribable. I am speaking to you from my heart right now that how can a person, Gerry Sumner, tell me and my clients that they could put their children through college and retire off their investments? He brain washed me and my clients that their stones would triple in value or exponentially increase in value as the Argyle Coloured Diamond mine would close in 2018 because of no more diamonds to excavate.
I have learned of their lack of value because my clients for various reasons wish to sell their coloured diamonds and take their principal investment plus their profits. Gerry is not taking my calls.
As the oner of Parliament LMC and behalf of my clients is there any course of action that we can take because of the misrepresentation of Gerry Sumner to us. Some of my clients purchased stones from Gerry for $90,000 1.31ct oval Fancy Orangy Pink I learned from multiple sources is worth less than $10,000.
Gerry who claimed to be an expert in the field of coloured diamonds I feel is an expert in deception and lying.
Can my clients and I make him accountable for the lies he told us while selling us these stones?
On behalf of my clients and myself look forward to your response.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Consumer Protection Law
3/4/2016
Consumer Protection Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer replied 2 years ago
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Yes, if he misrepresented the diamonds to you and your clients, you would all have to join together and would need an attorney in Toronto to sue him. You cannot sue in the US, because the US courts would not have the personal jurisdiction over him and personal jurisdiction would be in the Canadian court. He is liable though for fraud and misrepresentation and you would need to bring your own expert to court in Canada to testify as to the misrepresentations.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer