Consumer Protection Law

Consumer protection law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

My friend gave me a puppy but after 4 days I realized my…

Customer Question
Hi My friend gave me a...
Hi
My friend gave me a puppy but after 4 days I realized my Corgy didn't like the puppy.
I put the puppy on craigslist and gave it away. I sent a text to the friend that gave me the puppy and told her I gave the puppy away.
She said that she told me if I didn't want the dog to give her back, she also said she left a letter in the puppy's bag saying to give her back if I didn't want the dog. Only now did I found that letter.
What can I do to get the dogPuppy back>
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Consumer Protection Law
3/4/2016
Consumer Protection Lawyer: Barrister, Lawyer replied 2 years ago
Barrister, Lawyer

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply,but rest assured, I am working on your question.

.

Did the friend make you aware of the "return if not satisfied" condition when they gave you the puppy?

.

Did you agree to this condition as part of accepting the puppy?

.

.

thanks

Hi
I think she did and I said yes but I was so frustrated with my dog not wanting the puppy that I made a mistake . I just found the letter in the puppy's bag she gave me. It did say to give her back the puppy if I did t want it and not to give it away

Ok, the problem here is that you didnt' convey to the person who got the puppy from you that there were conditions on them receiving it and if those conditions weren't fulfilled, they had to give it back.

.

So if you didn't put strings on the gift from you to the other person, then you can't get the puppy back and the person who gave it to you would only be able to try and sue you for the value of the puppy as damages.

.

.

thanks

Barrister, Lawyer