How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Infolawyer Your Own Question
Infolawyer, Lawyer
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Satisfied Customers: 6823
Experience:  Licensed attorney helping individuals and businesses.
Type Your Consumer Protection Law Question Here...
Infolawyer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I had a car from Credit Acceptance repossesed about 2-3

Customer Question

Hi, I had a car from Credit Acceptance repossesed about 2-3 years ago. Credit Accept. is suing me for the remaineder of the balance, which I think is totally over inflated. it was a 1999 oldsmobile alero, I had originally paid over $5,000 on the loan and the car was falling apart and was going to cost more to fix it then it was worth. The company is now trying to force me to pay almost $6,000 more on a car I dont even have. I have a court hearing tomorrow 3/3/2016 at 9am tomorrow. is there anything I can do to stall this, till i can get a lawyer? I just got notified about this a week ago.
JA: The Consumer Protection Lawyer will need to help you with this. Have you consulted a lawyer yet?
Customer: no i havent
JA: Please tell me everything you can about this issue so the Consumer Protection Lawyer can help you best. Is there anything else important you think the Consumer Protection Lawyer should know?
Customer: i finally started to pay credit acceptance in february and not 3 days later they are sending me a notice in the mail, saying they are filing a motion to hold me in contempt on 3/3/16 for a default on a court order that they were totally aware of. the first time we went to court in 2015, I was unemployed and they were told and they knew this. I told them once I am employed and stable, ill start making paying payments. I am just know getting stable financially, so that I can pay them. but they want wayyy too much money upfront. I cannot afford it, so this is why I had defaulted and have to go to court.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Consumer Protection Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  DrakeLAW replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer, my name is ***** ***** I am an attorney. Please note:This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. This question and response may be viewed by other parties as noted in JA’s terms of service. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

Do you know what kind of court hearing you have tomorrow? Were you served with the lawsuit and did you file any kind of response?

Thank you for your question. It has been my pleasure to assist you and I welcome you to request my assistance in any future legal questions you may have, by simply placing my name in the first sentence of your new question. Finally, please be so kind as to promptly rate this answer so that it may be closed in the system. I wish you the best in your endeavors! -Rich

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the paper says, "Motion to Hold Defendant in Contempt" Third Division District Court. It says that the Plantiffs Attorney filed it electronically. Its exact wording is this "Now comes the plantiff and through plantiffs attorneys moves that defendent be held in contempt for failure to comply with a court order. Defendent was ordered to pay $465.00 on Dec. 18, 2015, 250.00 on January 25, 2016 and 125.00/ month starting Feb 25, 2016. and continuing each month thereafter. Defendent owes $715.00 on said order; total judgment balance is $5,981.20"
Expert:  DrakeLAW replied 1 year ago.

What state do you live in?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Rhode Island its C.A. NO.: 3CA-2015-00278, I was not given/told anything about being able to respond. So therefore I have not. I appreciate you taking the time to look this over. :-)
Expert:  DrakeLAW replied 1 year ago.

Did you appear at court and what happened?

Related Consumer Protection Law Questions