Consumer Protection Law

Consumer protection law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

I rent furniture from CORT.COM But recently I found that…

Customer Question
My name is***** rent...

My name is***** rent furniture from CORT.COM But recently I found that their furnitures have bed bugs I called their manager to discuss about it. He just denied that it is their furniture's problem and said it probably bought by me. So I want to know what I should do next? I actually caught 3 bed bugs around the mattress.

Lawyer's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

I started my rent on Jan 8. And the furniture came in on Jan 31. Before the furniture came in, nothing happened like this.

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Consumer Protection Law
2/29/2016
Consumer Protection Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer replied 2 years ago
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
In order for you to hold CORT furniture liable, you have to prove that the bed bugs came in their furniture and not from your property. You need to call an exterminator before you do anything and they need to come out and inspect your entire property to determine if the bed bugs came from the furniture and if the exterminator can say for sure that is where the bed bugs came from then you need to make them write a report saying that and you can sue CORT at that time for damages, including cost of extermination and return of any money you paid them. So you have to proceed first getting an exterminator, then if they agree it is the furniture, you can sue in small claims for your damages if the exterminator writes a report saying it is caused by the furniture.
I have asked the pest control company. They said usually they can't tell where the bugs are from.
Thank you for your reply.
If you cannot prove it came from the furniture, then legally you cannot hold CORT liable.