Consumer Protection Law

Consumer protection law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

Tamatha My builder set the basement foundation 44sf too

Customer Question
Tamatha My builder set...

Tamatha My builder set the basement foundation 44sf too small. Is there a way for me to figure out an appropriate financial refund now due to me?!?

Lawyer's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

When they set the Superior walls there were either ordered incorrectly or incorrectly poured. Now my basement is 44sf smaller than the plans specify.

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Consumer Protection Law
I paid my deposit and am still waiting for a response.
3/1/2016
Consumer Protection Lawyer: Samuel-II, Lawyer replied 2 years ago
Samuel-II
Samuel-II, Lawyer

Hello

This is Samuel and I will discuss this and provide you information in this regard.

I suggest you need to talk to your builder and ask them to provide you with the cost per sq ft to do the construction. Then you will want to deduct that amount by the loss of the 44 sq ft that the foundation was short. And if the entire house is short, you will consider that cost per sq ft for the total shortage.

I don't want to ask my builder what the cost per sf to do the construction is. His answer would be very biased. Isn't there another way for me to come up with a compensation value?!?
The loan for this construction has already closed, so I am paying for the 44sf over my 30 year loan. There has to be some value to this above and beyond the cost of construction. I'm not getting what I am paying for.

Well, it is best to get the cost per sq ft. And you could call in another builder to get an appraisal. But your contract should state the price per sq ft.

You can call the lender for the cos per sq ft. The lender should have all that information. I fully understand your situation. But you need to come up with the cost per sq ft if you are going to begin negotiations with your builder.

There really is no way without knowing what the price per sq ft was under contract.

Are you referring to the bank contract or the contract between myself and the builder?!?

The contract between you and the builder. The lender always requires a copy of the contract.

I wish there was an easier way for you to begin to negotiate. Of course you can pull a number out of thin air say $5000 and start there. But that is your decision. Either you get the amount per sq ft or you just tell them you want whatever amount you feel will make you whole again.

Samuel-II
Samuel-II
Samuel-II, Lawyer