Infolawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed attorney helping individuals and businesses.
11313492

Just bought a used BMW from the BMW dealership. They had us

Customer Question

Just bought a used BMW from the BMW dealership. They had us wait 7 days before releasing the vehicle because they were doing minor repairs, replacing a tire and gasket. After 30 minutes of driving off the lot with the vehicle signed and paid for. We get a call that there is a recall on the vehicles airbag which they had not discovered. So that we needed to bring the vehicle back and choose another one ( which they have none with the mileage or price) of the one we bought. We have chosen to keep the vehicle and wait for the part to come in and than have it repaired. They keep harassing us and now claim they will not be issuing us the title, that it is federal law? Which yesterday was the first time they ever mentioned that. Is this true? They messed up by selling a vehicle which I assume they should have not and by not letting us know sooner. This is a very stressful situation but need to know what our options are. Thank you
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.

Good morning. I am Loren, a licensed attorney, and I look forward to assisting you.

Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.

The dealership is confusing the law for new cars, which, indeed, prohibits the sale of a NEW (not used ) car under recall.

Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.

The dealer has likely violated BMW corporate policy and rules and has exposed itself to liability in the event of an accident involving a malfuntioning airbag.