Consumer Protection Law

Consumer protection law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

My son is having s bank account attached debts. How does he…

Customer Question
My son is having...

My son is having his bank account attached for old debts. How does he find out how much he owes and to whom?

Lawyer's Assistant: The Consumer Protection Lawyer will need to help you with this. Have you consulted a lawyer yet?

Not yet.

Lawyer's Assistant: Please give me a bit more information, so we can help you best.

He bought a car on time, lost his job, returned the car to the dealer and walked away. Now when his paychecks get deposited, the money disappears immediately.

Lawyer's Assistant: OK. The Consumer Protection Lawyer will need to help you with this. Is there anything else the Consumer Protection Lawyer should be aware of?

He is about to receive a personal injury settlement from a car accident and wants to make good on his debts but doesn't know how to start.

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Consumer Protection Law
2/27/2016
Consumer Protection Lawyer: CalAttorney2, Lawyer replied 2 years ago
CalAttorney2
CalAttorney2, Lawyer

Dear Customer,

If your son's bank accounts are being levied, that means he was sued, had a judgment entered against him, and the creditor now has a "bank levy" against him which allows them to remove money from his account.

He should have information on the law firm that handled the matter for his creditor from the court proceeding (their contact information will be at the top of the page). He can contact that law firm and get payoff information (or may even be able to negotiate a settlement).

If he is represented by an attorney in his personal injury action, ask his personal injury attorney for assistance, this is a very simple issue and they may be able to help him resolve it as a courtesy.