How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask CalAttorney2 Your Own Question
CalAttorney2, Lawyer
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Satisfied Customers: 10244
Experience:  I am a civil litigation attorney representing individuals and businesses.
Type Your Consumer Protection Law Question Here...
CalAttorney2 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My son is having s bank account attached debts. How does he

Customer Question

My son is having his bank account attached for old debts. How does he find out how much he owes and to whom?
JA: The Consumer Protection Lawyer will need to help you with this. Have you consulted a lawyer yet?
Customer: Not yet.
JA: Please give me a bit more information, so we can help you best.
Customer: He bought a car on time, lost his job, returned the car to the dealer and walked away. Now when his paychecks get deposited, the money disappears immediately.
JA: OK. The Consumer Protection Lawyer will need to help you with this. Is there anything else the Consumer Protection Lawyer should be aware of?
Customer: He is about to receive a personal injury settlement from a car accident and wants to make good on his debts but doesn't know how to start.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Consumer Protection Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 1 year ago.

Dear Customer,

If your son's bank accounts are being levied, that means he was sued, had a judgment entered against him, and the creditor now has a "bank levy" against him which allows them to remove money from his account.

He should have information on the law firm that handled the matter for his creditor from the court proceeding (their contact information will be at the top of the page). He can contact that law firm and get payoff information (or may even be able to negotiate a settlement).

If he is represented by an attorney in his personal injury action, ask his personal injury attorney for assistance, this is a very simple issue and they may be able to help him resolve it as a courtesy.