How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask insearchoftheanswer Your Own Question
insearchoftheanswer, Lawyer
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Satisfied Customers: 55716
Experience:  Practicing lawyer for 31 years
Type Your Consumer Protection Law Question Here...
insearchoftheanswer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

But i live in florida how do i file suit against the dealer

Customer Question

but i live in florida how do i file suit against the dealer in chicago?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  insearchoftheanswer replied 1 year ago.

You have a couple of options. One, if the dealer is doing business in Florida, then you can file the suit in Florida alleging that the dealer has sufficient contacts in Florida that justifies the suit being filed in Florida. If you file it in Florida, it will then be up to the dealer to contest the Florida jurisdiction. Two, if the dealer successfully contests the Florida jurisdiction, you don't have to actually go to Chicago to file the suit. You can file it by mail or have someone file it for you remotely. Then, you would only have to go to Chicago is it goes to a hearing; but, as I mentioned, in my experience, the dealer will pay this once the dealer is served rather than fighting a suit the dealer can't win.