How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Roger Your Own Question
Roger, Lawyer
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Satisfied Customers: 31672
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
Type Your Consumer Protection Law Question Here...
Roger is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

We are an auto repair shop in Cypress, TX with a legal

Customer Question

We are an auto repair shop in Cypress, TX with a legal issue. We had a Cadillac come in for repairs in September of 2013. Shortly thereafter, nearly 5 months, he passed away. Before then, he approved repairs to the tune of $2700. We have been trying to get into contact with any family kin to see if they would want the vehicle and responsibility for the repair costs, but haven't been successful. What is our next move to getting this car off of our lot. We have a lot of space so storage fees are not an issue.
JA: OK. The Consumer Protection Lawyer will need to help you with this. Have you consulted a lawyer yet?
Customer: No, we have not.
JA: Please tell me your email address, in case we get disconnected.
JA: Thanks. Are you ready to speak with the Consumer Protection Lawyer now?
Customer: Yes.
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Consumer Protection Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.

Hi - my name is ***** ***** I'll be glad to assist.

There is a vehicle mechanic's foreclosure procedure allowed under Texas law, which you can read about here:

However, since it sounds like you've had the vehicle for more than 30 days, and since he is deceased, that process may not be available......and may have to sue in JP court. If he has deceased, you'd have to sue his estate for the money or to obtain a default if the estate representative doesn't respond.

Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.

It could be possible to claim that the vehicle has been abandoned and go through that process, which you can read about here:

Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.

However, that still requires notice to the you're going to need to send notice to the deceased person's estate representative or next of kin.....or force the estate to be opened.

The only other alternative would be to have the vehicle towed by the police and then buy it back at the auction......then sell it for your repair costs and purchase price.