Consumer Protection Law

Consumer protection law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

I went to pick up my car today after almost six months and…

Customer Question
I went to pick up...
I went to pick up my car today after almost six months and not only have they not repaired the recall I originally took the car for, now there is a knock in my engine as well in which they have tried to get me to have them replace an the engine or outsource one myself. They would not release the car to me today and said I've racked up a lot of storage fees. Do I owe them anything? Keep in mind I was told(with my fiancée in attendance) that they had more than enough space to keep my vehicle there as it was "unsafe to drive" and that if they hit a point where storage fees were needed then they would contact me. They have NOT contacted me by mail, email, phone call, or text period, and I've been without my vehicle and still making payments and paying insurance on it every month. Do I owe them anything, or should I be able to take me car seeing as how the very issue I brought it there for was never resolved?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Consumer Protection Law
2/24/2016
Consumer Protection Lawyer: CalAttorney2, Lawyer replied 2 years ago
CalAttorney2
CalAttorney2, Lawyer

Dear Customer,

The mechanic is in breach of several very basic consumer protection statutes, you can retrieve your vehicle, and it is likely that they not only cannot charge you for the claimed work, but that they may also owe you if they damaged your vehicle further.

See: http://www.freshfromflorida.com/Divisions-Offices/Consumer-Services/Consumer-Resources/Consumer-Protection/Motor-Vehicle-Repair for basic information on consumer protection laws for auto repair in Florida

See: http://myfloridalegal.com/pages.nsf/Main/60FD9BD8FA71A5B185256CD1005EE5C5 to report a business engaged in fraudulent or unlawful businesses to the FL Attorney General's Office.

See: https://www.floridabar.org/tfb/TFBConsum.nsf/0a92a6dc28e76ae58525700a005d0d53/a2d8f428439b7ceb8525740800555a28!OpenDocument for a handbook on how to avoid fraudulent auto repair practices published by the Florida Bar Association.