How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask RobertJDFL Your Own Question
RobertJDFL, Lawyer
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Satisfied Customers: 13748
Experience:  Experienced in multiple areas of the law.
Type Your Consumer Protection Law Question Here...
RobertJDFL is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

How can I get a pro bono lawyer without necessarily proving

Customer Question

how can I get a pro bono lawyer without necessarily proving income tho would be willing to do that if necessary
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  RobertJDFL replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for using Just Answer. I look forward to assisting you today.

To be perfectly honest, the reality is that your best chance of finding a pro-bono lawyer would be through services such as legal aid, or if you are looking for criminal defense representation, through the public defender's office. However, all of those agencies are going to require that you provide proof of income to ensure eligibility. And, legal aid doesn't necessarily represent individuals in all types of cases and/or may have other specific requirements (for example, one legal aid office in a nearby county to me will only represent individuals in divorce if children are involved).

Private firms typically do not offer pro bono services. They have overhead and expenses and payroll, and larger firms would rather their associates put in their billable hours. When I worked for a larger firm, the only time I got to do pro bono work was a favor for an existing client who "needed something done" outside the scope of our normal area of practice, and it was always at the direction of a senior partner. If attorneys are going to offer their time pro bono, it typically isn't as a firm, but they will work through an agency like legal aid, teen court, or the Guardian Ad Litem program.

I wish I could tell you otherwise, but I don't want you wasting your time looking for something that is very hard to find. Your best bet, as I said, is to look at legal aid, in your county.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
this is for consumer fraud (bait n switch) so is a public defenders office same as attorney general (consumer investigator). if so what are the chances I would be able to give the truck dealer back their new truck that didn't have the engine in it that was ordered
Expert:  RobertJDFL replied 1 year ago.

No, a public defender represents people accused of criminal matters. What you are talking about is a civil matter. You can certainly file a complaint with the Attorney General's Office. The link to do that is here:

You may also want to file a complaint with the Better Business Bureau, which you can do here:

No reputable business is going to want complaints from government or other agencies against them, and complaints made with the BBB are public.

If you don't get resolution there, you may want to look into filing suit. From the facts you've provided, it sounds like the dealership committed a material breach of contract. In other words, you signed an agreement to pay "X" amount of money for "Y" brand car, with certain amenities and features. If they delivered something else completely, then the breach is so material to the contract as to make it void. Furthermore, it could be argued they misrepresented themselves and you detrimentally relied on their representations when agreeing to pay what you did for the vehicle.

In the interest of avoiding potentially drawn out and costly litigation, however, I would certainly start with the AG's office and the BBB, and see if they are able to assist you in any manner.