How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LegalGems Your Own Question
LegalGems, Lawyer
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Satisfied Customers: 10313
Experience:  Research Attorney; Private Practice; Attorney Mentor; Mediator
Type Your Consumer Protection Law Question Here...
LegalGems is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a 2008 Kia Optima with 148,000 miles. Took my car on

Customer Question

I have a 2008 Kia Optima with 148,000 miles. Took my car on January 29th to get an oil change. On February 18th I was told my engine is about to go by a mechanic. The mechanic looked at my engine to find out why and he said that whoever did the oil change put gas in where the oil goes. All I have is a receipt from Walmart. I never had any major mechanical problems with my. I bought it brand new in '08. I have been the only owner of the car. What can I do
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  LegalGems replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry to hear of this;

So basically a professional mechanic is liable for any reasonably foreseeable economic damages that result from his/her negligence.

A concise and detailed explanation of a prima facie case of negligence is here:

Basically, did the mechanic exercise ordinary care in carrying out the repairs to the automobile; if not, were the damages reasonably foreseeable and a direct result of the negligent act.

While the burden is on the plaintiff to prove the negligent act, there is a legal doctrine:

Res Ipsa Loquitor -

this means "the thing speaks for itself". So if one person had exclusive control of an item, and damage resulted during that time, the court may presume that the damage was as a matter of law caused by the person who had exclusive control of the item.

Small claims is appropriate if the economic damage (generally includes a rental car during repair period as that is reasonably foreseeable as a damage) is less than $3,000;

if less than $15,000, then special civil court.

It is often fruitful to hire an attorney to prepare a demand letter, so that an out of court settlement can be facilitated.

Thank you for using Just Answer.
I hope the information I provided is useful. If you need further clarification please post here and I will reply as soon as I see it; otherwise, Kindly
-Rate Positively-
This does Not result in additional charges to the customer and allows the site to credit me for assisting you today.

Thank you and take care!

Thank you for using Just Answer.
I hope the information provided was useful.

Here is a link to the bar association's legal referral site:

Should you have further questions please post here; otherwise kindly

--- Rate Positively---
so the site credits me for assisting you.

Thank you and take care!