How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Phillips Esq. Your Own Question
Phillips Esq.
Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Satisfied Customers: 19324
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
Type Your Consumer Protection Law Question Here...
Phillips Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

If a contractor does a work at my home with a canceled

Customer Question

If a contractor does a work at my home with a canceled license or a revoked license is it illegal?
I am a tenant and I discovered that my landlord got contractors with canceled and revoked license to work in the house I live.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 1 year ago.

Hello! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney with more than 18 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to help

Also, if you would like to chat on the phone, let me know and I can make that happen.

That would be illegal. CA law requires contractors to have a license. You could report this to the Contractors State License Board if you desire.

Please let me know if you have more questions. I am happy to help if I can. Otherwise, please rate the answer so I may get credit for my work.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am in a battle with my landlord because when I moved in 2012 I reported to her with few weeks that the kitchen was smelling like mold. She took over an year to properly investigate the problem. Bot***** *****ne, she was waiting for her insurance to pay for the cost of the kitchen. She got the money from insurance and contracted 2 contractors that I discovered that both have the licenses expired. The kitchen project was supposed to be done in 1 week. It took 3 months and was not done due to many appointment cancellation from the contractors. I consulted a lawyer and he advise me to stop rental payments until she done with the kitchen. However, she started giving me eviction notices.
I am not in her house anymore. She now have a civil case against me and we are going to trial. She is looking for back rent, but she is not calculating my security deposit. My defense is that I lived in a house with a dysfunction and mold kitchen for 2 years. I should reduce the rent by the size of the kitchen "Green vs Superior Court". However, I just found out about the situation of the contractors. What do you think?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
By my calculations, I don't own her anyt
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 1 year ago.

The Court may order you to pay reduced rent since your entire unit was not affected. The only problem that you had was in the kitchen. The Landlord is less likely to get the amount that she is requesting.