Consumer Protection Law

Consumer protection law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

Maxine Welsh.
, I received a check from Billtrust

Customer Question
Maxine Welsh. Lawyer's...

Maxine Welsh.

Lawyer's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

I received a check from Billtrust Financial Inc. It was pm a Nationwide Insurance Check Bank One, Dearborn, Michigan for $3.950 00 to pay processing fee to receive a lottery prize of $250.000.00. Is this a scam?.

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Consumer Protection Law
2/22/2016
Consumer Protection Lawyer: RONB-ESQ, Lawyer replied 2 years ago
RONB-ESQ
RONB-ESQ, Lawyer

Hello my name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney. I welcome you to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. The question and response may be viewed by other parties as noted in JA’s terms of service. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

Generally any lottery prize that requires an upfront payment should be carefully scrutinized and unless proven otherwise deemed a scam. Lotteries don't require up front payment. In this case if I read correctly they sent you a check for $3,950.00. Is that correct? Were you then instructed to send a portion of that payment back to them? If so this would be more along the line of the counterfeit check scam where they purchase something from you can come up for a reason they will pay you extra then upon receipt of payment want you to send certified funds to them. You might clarify if they sent you a check.

You might also confirm whether you received any actual physical address for them as I can look at that.