Consumer Protection Law

Consumer protection law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

I bought a car daughter on a Saturday from a private seller.

Customer Question
I bought a car for...
I bought a car for my daughter on a Saturday from a private seller. The husband stopped by for a few minutes but had to leave to go to work while we were getting the car inspected by a mobile mechanic. His wife stayed to complete the transaction. We paid in cash & received a clean title with a transfer of ownership form signed by him in all the correct places. However, his wife's name was on the title & she didn't sign where needed. We went to turn in the paperwork to the DMV, but they said we also need her signature. We have tried contacting them at the 2 different phone numbers they provided, but no one has gotten back to us. We are worried that the women who presented herself as the owner's wife is not the one listed on the title. We have no current address for them. What should we do?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Consumer Protection Law
2/17/2016
Consumer Protection Lawyer: Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law replied 2 years ago
Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law

Hello. My name is***** am a US licensed attorney and I will be happy to answer your question.
I am sorry to hear about this unfortunate situation.
Please note, I cannot comment on your specific situation, as this services is only limited to general information and for any legal advice / legal service you should contact your local attorney.

What was the purchase price of this used vehicle?

Did you attempt to locate the wife or the seller by utilizing various internet website that conduct people searches to find contact information for the former owners of the vehicle?

We purchased it for $5,500. I have done internet searches using Spokeo. The phone number listed is not in service. There are various addresses but I'm a little worried about just showing up at the last address listed. There are a lot names as listed living there.

Thank you for your follow up.

Unfortunately, generally the only way to resolve similar issue with the title that has not been signed by one of the co-owners, is to either locate the co-owner who has not signed the title and have the co-owner sign it or lawsuit would have to be filed in the local court naming both co-owners as defendants and requesting for the court to either order that a title be issued to the buyer or to order the previous owners to refund any amount of money paid to him based on unjust enrichment and misrepresentation (failure to have the other co-owner sign the title).

I wish you the best of luck!

Ok. All numbers I've tried to reach have been disconnected or no one is answering. I have an address but hesitate to go there myself to look for this person. In your experience, is this something the police department could help me with?

Thank you for your follow up.

While the issue can be reported to your local police, generally the police will regard similar situation as a non-criminal civil matter and would suggest filing a lawsuit or contacting local attorney.

I wish you the best of luck!