How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Satisfied Customers: 117375
Experience:  Attorney experienced in commercial litigation.
Type Your Consumer Protection Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My auto finance company was shut down in New York State,

Customer Question

My auto finance company was shut down in New York State, they reopened in California. My payment book shows my final payment in April of 2016 however the new company sent me a bill for $12,000 and are trying to say that's finance charges. In the meantime, they have picked up my car and want $2000 to get it back. Anything I can do?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
You will actually have to immediately file suit against them for unfair and deceptive business practices and breach of contract and for a court injunction and order of replevin to return your car. The issue is if you have paid constantly and are current on your payments, they had no right to repossess the car. So you have to now file suit in court because if you do not pay them they will auction the car and you will lose it.
If you prove unlawful repossession and unfair and deceptive business practices you can get triple damages plus attorney's fees against them, so get a local consumer attorney to file in court and get the car returned and pursue them for the unlawful repossession.