Consumer Protection Law

Consumer protection law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

My name is blake, I recently bought a 2013 Chevrolet

Customer Question
Hello my name is *****...
Hello my name is ***** ***** recently bought a 2013 Chevrolet corvette z06 from stadium auto a used car lot in Arlington texas . I was recently discharged from the military and used some of the money I got from deployment to put a down payment and pay for this used car. From the beginning this company has caused me problems, I wish I would of never bought from them. This has been a complete disappointment. This is what has happened. It has been 5 months and I still have no title, they keep making excuses on why they are not sending it to me so I can obtain my tag and pay my taxes on the vehicle. I am wondering if this is considered a breach of contract since they were suppose to get that to me within 30 days. They keep sending me paper tags so I don't get in trouble with law enforcement. I want to return the vehicle to them and get my trade in back and be done with them. Is this a possibility? They tell me that there is nothing I can do that I will have to continue to wait until they send the title work to me. As of right now I am in penalty because they didn't send it soon enough. Do I have legal grounds to return this car?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Consumer Protection Law
2/13/2016
Consumer Protection Lawyer: CalAttorney2, Lawyer replied 2 years ago
CalAttorney2
CalAttorney2, Lawyer

Dear Customer,

I am sorry to learn of this situation,

The dealer is required to provide you title within 30 days of purchase.

You can (should) file a complaint with both the TX DOT (http://www.txdmv.gov/contact-us) and the TX Attorney General (https://www.texasattorneygeneral.gov/cpd/file-a-consumer-complaint).

While failure to provide title in and of itself does not give you a right to unwind (or void) the transaction, you at least do have some leverage to utilize in negotiating a deal with the dealer (get them to take the car back and get you a check (in certified funds - so a cashier's check) to make you "whole").

You can sue them for breach of contract in small claims court (this can simply be for money damages and 'punitive damages' due to their breach of the TX Motor Vehicle Code (failure to provide title for over 5 months)): https://www.texasbar.com/AM/Template.cfm?Section=Consumer_and_Tenant_Rights1&Template=/CM/ContentDisplay.cfm&ContentID=24859

Short of filing a lawsuit, you can try to mediate the dispute with them - contact your local bar association and request referrals to mediators, a third party neutral can often help you reach a mutually agreeable resolution. Use the bar association's referrals to contact a mediator or two, the mediator will then contact the other party to set up a mediation session, and you can go from there - hopefully resulting in a formal or written settlement agreement, and save yourself the time and expense of litigation.

CalAttorney2
CalAttorney2
CalAttorney2, Lawyer