Consumer Protection Law

Consumer protection law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

I am having an issue with me newly installed water heater. a…

Customer Question
I am having an issue...
I am having an issue with me newly installed water heater. a long story but during the install, the installer broke my main water line and destroyed my TV/VCR. my bill was $1,163.00 when the project was done he wanted me to pay in full. I told him I was not going to pay the full bill and I would need to talk about this with someone in his office.
they came back a week later to resolve the issue and told me they would give me a $20.00 credit to the bill. To replace the TV with a comparable one would have been in the $150.00 range. I wanted to settle the bill for $900.00 ( partly for the TV but also for the fact I had to clean up the mess and a couple of other issue I had with them as well as the just the inconvenience of it all ).
it has been a couple of days since this all happened and not sure what to do at this point.
the manager did say that they would be by later to pick up the water heater, since I was not willing to pay the full amount.
I am not sure what to do at this time ? I am will to pay, but can they come and get my water heater ? can you let me kniow your thoughts on my next move ?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Consumer Protection Law
2/12/2016
Consumer Protection Lawyer: insearchoftheanswer, Lawyer replied 2 years ago
insearchoftheanswer

Hi Dave. My name is ***** ***** I will be helping you today! It will take me just a few minutes to type a response to your question. Thanks for your patience!

One, they cannot come and take anything from your property. Let them know if they show up and try to do so, you will call the police and have them arrested. Two, their offer to settle this is ridiculous. They are liable for all your damages resulting from the installer's negligence, including your time for cleaning up the mess. You want to inform them you are willing to pay the cost of the water heater less those costs and not a penny more. Inform them if they don't accept your offer and pursue you by suit or by filing a negative credit report, you will be contesting the suit and filing a counter suit for gross negligence and defamation, seeking not only the reduction to the damages caused, but also punitive damages. In my experience, this should lead to a favorable resolution for you.

Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your questions. I have done my best to provide information which fully addresses your question. If you have any follow up questions, please ask! If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service as OK, Good or Excellent (hopefully Good or Excellent). Otherwise, I receive no credit for assisting you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!