Consumer Protection Law

Consumer protection law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

Can a person sell a car that has a title in one state across…

Customer Question
Can a person sell a...
Can a person sell a car that has a title in one state across state lines when the other state will not recognize it? I bought a car that was grossly misrepresented on the Internet from South Carolina and It does not have a recognizable Vin Number California recognizes.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Consumer Protection Law
2/6/2016
Consumer Protection Lawyer: Attorney 1, Attorney replied 2 years ago
Attorney 1
Attorney 1, Attorney

Hello, and welcome. I am a licensed attorney and happy to assist.

If the VIN number is ***** there should be no problem with Callifornia licensing and registration. If the vehicle is in your possession now, the VIN should be readily ascertainable. If it has been removed or altered by the seller, that could certainly pose a problem for you. If there is no readable or accurate VIN, and you are relying on information posted in that car listing, it is possible that could've been a typo in the listing, and also possible that the seller misrepresented the number because there's a problem with the vehicle. Either way, if it is now impossible to get the correct information, though there was no indication of the problem in the listing you relied on to purchase the vehicle, you have definite recourse.

If the seller misrepresented the VIN number and you now have a car that is useless because it can't be licensed or registered in California, you have a right to rescind the sale and get your money back for return of the vehicle. Under the circumstances, return would be at the prior owners expense. If you do not get satisfaction from the prior seller, you can take the matter to small claims court and have a judge order the money be returned to you. Your action would be for breach of contract and fraud. The front cause of action allows the court to award you several times the amount you actually paid for the vehicle in punitive damages. If you purchased the vehicle in California, whether online or in person, you can bring the action in a California court, regardless of where the other party is located.

I hope this helps. If you need additional information or clarification, please let me know and I will continue providing assistance. If I have addressed your concerns or pointed you in a positive direction, please remember to leave a positive rating when prompted, as that is how attorneys on this site are credited for the help we provide.

Good luck!

Best,

Attorney 1

Please let me know if there's anything else I can do for you.

If I have clarified your issue or helped point you in a positive direction, please remember to leave a positive rating when prompted, as that is the only way attorneys on this site are credited for the information provided.

Best,

Attorney 1

Just checking in to find out how your situation is progressing. Please let me know if there's anything else I can do for you. If I have helped clarify the situation for you, please let me know that, as well. Thank you.

Best,

Attorney 1