How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lucy, Esq. Your Own Question
Lucy, Esq.
Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Satisfied Customers: 29818
Experience:  Lawyer
Type Your Consumer Protection Law Question Here...
Lucy, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I bought a car in cash. I took the title to the DMV, and

Customer Question

I bought a car in cash. I took the title to the DMV, and they pointed out to me that the title hadn't been retitled to the previous owner properly. It shows that the title was signed over to pac american group from progressive. He signed the bottom of the title and had me sign.
The DMV told me that this copy of the title was void and that I would need to contact the seller to have a new title. He informed me that it would cost me $150 and take 8 weeks. I have the bill of sale, but I don't have a copy of that original title. Do I owe him money?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.


I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today.

When a person buys a vehicle, it's up to the seller to deliver a copy of the title that the buyer can use to title the car in his name. If the seller doesn't do that, the buyer can sue for a full refund - the sale is not valid if the buyer can't get a good title. And for that reason, no, the buyer does not have to pay to get a copy of the title if the seller provides an invalid title in the first place.