How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LegalGems Your Own Question
LegalGems, Lawyer
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Satisfied Customers: 10022
Experience:  Research Attorney; Private Practice; Attorney Mentor; Mediator
Type Your Consumer Protection Law Question Here...
LegalGems is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I live in a 55 and older condo in NJ. Our by laws state that

Customer Question

I live in a 55 and older condo in NJ. Our by laws state that all homeowners are
entitled to receive results of Board elections. This was not given to the homeowners
during the last election. the Board only posted the names of the board members
elected on a Bulletin Board. I then contacted the atty handling the elections as
well as the Mgmt. co. and requested the info I was entitled to. They sent some but
not all of it. Several months later I get a statement from the mgmt. co. stating I
owe a certain amount of money. No invoice was sent, no reason for the atty fee
stated. I called the mngmt. co. and all they would say was that the Board
authorized the assessment and that it had something to do with the info I requested
months early regarding election results. This is an inappropriate bill and want to
know if I can sue if they do not remove it.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  LegalGems replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your patience as I researched this.

So I have reviewed both the Condominium Act codified at NJSA at 46:8b et seq and could not find any authorization for the imposition of attorney fees by the board. I have also reviewed case law and could not find any authority.

Basically if bylaws state that the homeowners are entitled to election results, and the board fails to provide that, thereby necessitating the homeowner to contact the attorney, the proper party to incur the charge for the attorney's time in responding to the request would be the association, precisely because the contact was necessitated by the failure of the board to provide the information in accordance with the bylaws. Just because the board authorizes something does not make it legal.

One can sue for the removal of the charge.

Thank you for using Just Answer.
I hope the information I provided is useful. If you need further clarification please post here and I will reply as soon as I see it; otherwise, Kindly
-Rate Positively-
This does Not result in additional charges to the customer and allows the site to credit me for assisting you today.

Thank you and take care!

Expert:  LegalGems replied 1 year ago.

Information on filing a complaint with the state is here:

Related Consumer Protection Law Questions