Consumer Protection Law

Consumer protection law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

We red a man to repair our indoor plantation shutters, he…

Customer Question
Hello, We hired a man to...
We hired a man to repair our indoor plantation shutters, he took the broken parts and $244 on December 11, 2015 and promised to have them back in one week.
He isn't returning my phone calls or e-mails.
What can I do?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Consumer Protection Law
2/3/2016
Consumer Protection Lawyer: insearchoftheanswer, Lawyer replied 2 years ago
insearchoftheanswer

Good afternoon. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you.

Since he won't respond to you at all, you want to raise the stakes on him. First, get an estimate from another contractor for the cost to replace your shutters. Then, send the existing contractor a certified, return receipt requested letter detailing the history, including his failure to perform as promised, terminate the relationship and demand he pay you what it will cost you to have your shutters replaced by the other contractor since you no longer have confidence in him and he has your broken shutters. Inform him that if he does not comply with your demand within a short specified period of time, you will have no choice but to file a suit for your damages. BUT, be sure to specifically mention that you will be filing this claim not only as a breach of contract case, but also as gross negligence, deceptive trade practice, and fraud causes of action, which will entitle you not only to your damages, but also an additional amount equal to multiple times your actual damages as punitive damages. That should provide plenty of incentive to comply with your demands; but, if it does not, file your suit. Even if you have to file the suit, that's likely all you will need do. In my experience, he will settle this without a hearing rather than risk punitive damages and the judgments being on the record.

Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your questions. I have done my best to provide information which fully addresses your question. If you have any follow up questions, please ask! If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service as OK, Good or Excellent (hopefully Good or Excellent). Otherwise, I receive no credit for assisting you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!