Consumer Protection Law

Consumer protection law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

I just bought a car less than a month ago from a private…

Customer Question
Hi I just bought a...
Hi I just bought a car less than a month ago from a private seller. at the time of purchase i noticed he changed the transmission fluid .he assured me the transmission was fine .the car broke down and it will cost more then the car is worth to fix the transmission. do i have any rights under the lemon law.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Consumer Protection Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
2/3/2016
Consumer Protection Lawyer: P. Simmons, Lawyer replied 2 years ago
P. Simmons, Lawyer

Hello! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney with more than 18 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to help

Also, if you would like to chat on the phone, let me know and I can make that happen.

Can you verify, this was in NY?

What year is the car?

this was in NY and it's a 1999 Saturn.

Thank you

The "lemon law" is not going to help here. In NY, the Used Car Lemon Law covers any car that: was purchased, leased or transferred after the earlier of 18,000 miles or two years from original delivery; AND. was purchased or leased from a New York dealer;

Since the car is over 2 years old the lemon law will not apply

Now....if you can prove this person lied to you...say, for example, they knew the transmission was broken or about to break, and claimed otherwise? That would be a basis to sue them. But not under the lemon law. YOu would simply sue them for failure to negotiate in good faith, as required under contract law

Please let me know if you have more questions. I am happy to help if I can. Otherwise, please rate the answer so I may get credit for my work.

follow up.