Consumer Protection Law

Consumer protection law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

My car was just repossessed.

Customer Question
My car was just repossessed.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Consumer Protection Law
Answered in 1 hour by:
2/1/2016
Consumer Protection Lawyer: Lucy, Esq., Lawyer replied 2 years ago
Lucy, Esq., Lawyer

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear that this happened.

What are your questions for a lawyer about repossession? What state are you in?

PA

What are you questions about having the car taken? Were you behind on the payments?

No phone calls please.
How many points will this lower my credit score if I pay the 3 or 4 past due payments to get back my car?

First, check the terms of your loan. There is sometimes an acceleration clause that says you must pay the full outstanding balance on the loan to get the car back.

There's unfortunately no way for us to calculate the exact number of points that your score will decrease - it depends on multiple factors, including your current credit rating. Your credit score could drop significantly - up to 100 points. Most of the damage is done right away. Overtime, as you continue to pay your other debts, your score will come back up. That can take a few years, though. The late payments will remain on your credit even if you are able to pay them, and that will also cause your score to drop, even if you are able to redeem the loan and get the car back.

There is a tool on www.creditkarma.com that can help you estimate your credit score based on various scenarios. That's a free site (no credit card required).

If you have any questions or concerns about my response, please reply WITHOUT RATING. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.