Marsha411JD, Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed Attorney with 29 yrs exp with Consumer Law issues
19127644

Federal Gaming Commission - Consumers clearing house sweeps

Customer Question

Federal Gaming Commission - Consumers clearing house sweeps over 500,000 dollars won and I already paid money to the third party in the Philippines. In order to receive my checks(cashiers ck) by currier from California ( I think) I need to pay 3,000 more dollars. If I don't pay they tell me I'll be turned over to money launger. I can't sleep at night. Please help me. Also, I saved all papers and phone #s HELP! Thanks, Dom
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Like what I don't understand?
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Consumer Protection Lawyers generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Marsha411JD replied 1 year ago.

Hello Dom,

Thank you for the information. I am afraid that you have been scammed out of your hard earned money. This "sweepstakes" notification was a complete fraud set up to take your money. There is not such thing as a Government agency being involved in sweepstakes or contests and no legitimate sweepstakes will ever ask for payment up front in order for a "winner" to receive their funds. This is true even if there are taxes or fees to pay. They will always take those fees or taxes from the winnings before sending them. In addition, there would be no legitimate sweepstakes that would go through the Philippines for distribution. Finally, if you don't remember entering the sweepstakes, it is another obvious indication of a scam.

At this point, all you can do is report the fraud to the Federal Trade Commission. You can read more about sweepstakes scams and find out how to report what has occurred by going to the following link: http://www.consumer.ftc.gov/articles/0199-prize-scams

Please feel free to ask for clarification if needed. If none is needed, then if you could take a moment to leave a positive rating in the box above, I will receive credit for assisting you today. Thank you

Hello again,

I wanted to touch base with you and make sure that you did not have any follow up questions for me from the answer I provided to you on the 31st. For some reason, the Experts are not always getting replies or ratings (at the top of the question/answer page you are viewing or in the pop up box for this question), which is how we get credit (paid by the Site) for our work, that the customer thinks have gone through. In your case I received neither. If you are having technical difficulties with reading, replying or rating, please let me know so that I can inform the Site administrator. Please note that Site use works best while using a computer and using either Google Chrome or Firefox.

In any event, it was a pleasure assisting you and I would be glad to attempt to assist you further on this issue, or a new legal issue, if needed. You can bookmark my page at: http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-marsha411jd/

Thank you.