Consumer Protection Law

Consumer protection law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

My name is ***** *****
, yes... my car lease was over a…

Customer Question
Hello my name is...

Hello my name is ***** *****

Lawyer's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

Yes... my car lease was over a week after i got married,,, i had called and extended my lease because naturally i did not have the time to look into a new one,... the bank granted me 5 months. i had asked ab payments and they had informed me i just pay for the months i had kept it (1 month 4 months etc) at this time i also moved and changed my address now i did NOT get anything in the mail no phone calls then one the EXACT day i am picking up my new car the old one gets repossessed i have paid every month until this extension where i was not familiar with how it worked i did not get a warning nor did my parents (my old address) nor did my husband i called fully prepared to pay off the amount i owed and they said the car was going to auction now my question is... how to do i fix my and dad credit (cosigner) as this was an honest mistake AND am i responsible for the difference when sold if sold less then msrp? even though it is a lease? i did not sign any paperwork and am SO confused

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Consumer Protection Law
1/30/2016
Consumer Protection Lawyer: LawTalk, Lawyer replied 2 years ago
LawTalk, Lawyer

Good morning,

First of all congratulations on your recent marriage!

It seems that the problem arose when you did not give the lender your new address and perhaps fell behind in the payments during the extension, or exceeded the 5 month extension.

Your parents were not notified because co-signors never are notified of ongoing problems. They are only notified after the repossession is complete, the auction is complete and you fail to pay the deficiency amount. Then the demand is made on the co-signor for payment.

You asked: how to do i fix my and dad credit (cosigner) as this was an honest mistake AND am i responsible for the difference when sold if sold less then msrp?

All you can do is be prepared to immediately pay the deficiency amount following the auction of the vehicle, if there is one. The deficiency will include your remaining lease balance and any past due amounts, the costs of repossession and for any damages to the vehicle or additional mileage charges if the car exceeded its allowed mileage during the lease term, and for the costs of preparing the car for auction---think cleaning and detailing.

You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

Please be so kind as to rate my service to you. That is the only way I am credited for assisting you.

I wish you and yours the best in 2016,

Doug