Consumer Protection Law

Consumer protection law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

If Agent from American Cash Award company says he has your…

Customer Question
If Agent from American Cash...
If Agent from American Cash Award company says he has your award should I believe him?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Consumer Protection Law
1/29/2016
Consumer Protection Lawyer: Marsha411JD, Lawyer replied 2 years ago
Marsha411JD, Lawyer

Thank you for your question. No, it is a scam. You don't say whether or not they have asked you to send them money in order to collect your prize, but if they haven't they will. There is no legitimate sweepstakes or prize contest that will ever ask you for money up front before receiving your winnings. If it was legitimate, the contest would simply deduct any fees or taxes from your winnings before sending them to you.

Also, if you don't remember entering the contest, that is another signal that it is a scam. Do not send money or provide them with any banking information or your SSN. You can report this attempt to scam you to the Federal Trade Commission by following the information at the following link: http://www.consumer.ftc.gov/articles/0199-prize-scams

Please feel free to ask for clarification if needed. If none is needed, then if you could take a moment to leave a positive rating in the box above, I will receive credit for assisting you today. Thank you

Hello again,

I wanted to touch base with you and make sure that you did not have any follow up questions for me from the answer I provided to you on the 29th. For some reason, the Experts are not always getting replies or ratings (at the top of the question/answer page you are viewing or in the pop up box for this question), which is how we get credit (paid by the Site) for our work, that the customer thinks have gone through. In your case I received neither. If you are having technical difficulties with reading, replying or rating, please let me know so that I can inform the Site administrator. Please note that Site use works best while using a computer and using either Google Chrome or Firefox.

In any event, it was a pleasure assisting you and I would be glad to attempt to assist you further on this issue, or a new legal issue,if needed. You can bookmark my page at: http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-marsha411jd/

Thank you.