Consumer Protection Law

Consumer protection law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

Can a hospital quote you a price make you pay the quote up…

Customer Question
can a hospital quote you...
can a hospital quote you a price make you pay the quote up front before the operation and then send you a bill for three times the amount of the quote after the operation
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Consumer Protection Law
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
1/25/2016
Consumer Protection Lawyer: Dwayne B., Lawyer replied 2 years ago
Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Lawyer

Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification. Also, I can only answer the questions you specifically ask and based on the facts that you give so please be sure that you ask the questions you want to ask and provide all necessary facts.

No, not under the facts as you describe them and assuming there was nothing unforeseen that occurred. If, for example, they had quoted you a $10k hospital charge for a leg surgery but then your appendix suddenly ruptured while you were under anesthesia then the hospital would be expected to treat it and would be able to charge for the extra work. However, if they had quoted you a $10k hospital charge and the surgery was exactly what they had quoted then they would be bound by their quote.