Consumer Protection Law

Consumer protection law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

My brother who has been emotionally and physically ill

Customer Question
Hi my brother who has...
Hi my brother who has been emotionally and physically ill walked into a car dealership and bought a Mercedes which he cannot really afford and will only be a burden to his family. He attempted to return it the following day and they would not take it because, they said, that he signed a final bill of sale and did not sign the document that would allow him to return it within 24 hours but at a loss of 500-700 dollars. I believe his down payment was for 10K, money which he needs for school and not a car. What are his rights concerning his situation, can he return the car legaly?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Consumer Protection Law
1/23/2016
Consumer Protection Lawyer: Attorney 1, Attorney replied 2 years ago
Attorney 1
Attorney 1, Attorney

Hello, and welcome. I am a licensed attorney and happy to assist.

This is an unfortunate situation, but your brother does have recourse under certain, limited circumstances. If the dealer had a reason to know your brother was emotionally ill and perhaps unable to make contracting decisions, then your brother can walk away from the contract. Otherwise, your brother can still walk away, but only if the dealer made a material misrepresentation about the car, and your brother relied on that representation in purchasing it. Absent the occurrence of either of those scenarios, the only hope of getting out of the deal is make an appeal to the conscience of the dealership, through its manager or owner if you have access to that person. It may be that, to protect the dealership's business goodwill and potential sales to other members of the family, the dealer may relent and let your brother out. You need to speak with the right person and thoroughly explain the situation, perhaps with supporting documentation about your brothers illness. It's not the perfect situation, but if all else fails, it's your best shot.

Is there anything else I can do for you tonight? I'm here to help.

I hope this information helps. If you need additional information or clarification, just let me know and I'll be happy to continue providing assistance. If you are not currently online, you can respond to this post when you return. I will be notified of your message and will reply.

If I have addressed your issue, please remember to leave a positive rating when prompted.

Good luck!

Best,

Attorney 1

Please let me know if there's anything else I can do for you. If I have addressed your issue, please remember to leave a positive rating when prompted, as that is the only way attorneys on this site are credited for the help provided.

Best,

Attorney 1

Attorney 1
Attorney 1
Attorney 1, Attorney