How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask CalAttorney2 Your Own Question
CalAttorney2, Lawyer
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Satisfied Customers: 10244
Experience:  I am a civil litigation attorney representing individuals and businesses.
Type Your Consumer Protection Law Question Here...
CalAttorney2 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I need to subpoena my cell phone provider of text messages.

Customer Question

I need to subpoena my cell phone provider for copies of text messages. How do I go about this?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 1 year ago.

Dear Customer,

I would recommend starting with this packet:

The forms can be used for an individual or a corporation.

I also recommend using a process server to actually serve your subpoena (they will charge a little bit of money (usually based on a modest base fee plus a per page fee for the actual copies), but they will do it right, and they will have the correct address/contact information for your intended deponent (in your case, your cell phone carrier)). Contact your local (county) bar association for referrals.

They will usually have their own forms (which can save you some time as well), so call them first, then decide which forms you need to complete out of the packet above - it can save you some time and duplication. Some of the larger services (such as "OneLegal") allow you to submit an order online - but this can be limited to attorney or law firm accounts depending on state.