How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask RobertJDFL Your Own Question
RobertJDFL, Lawyer
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Satisfied Customers: 13748
Experience:  Experienced in multiple areas of the law.
Type Your Consumer Protection Law Question Here...
RobertJDFL is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have been court summoned on a defaulted car loan
, So

Customer Question

Customer: **** ********, I have been court summoned on a defaulted car loan
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: So i have summoned on a car that i had repossessed when i had lost my job, this was about 5 years ago. During that time the loan was sold out to another company that was difficult for me to contact and setup payment arrangements. Now they have sent me and my cosigner a summons to court to pay them Im not sure about our options. I would file bankruptcy but my co signer has a active car note that she is paying on and is worried that it will affect that
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Consumer Protection Lawyers generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  RobertJDFL replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for using Just Answer. I look forward to assisting you.

You have a limited number of options in this scenario. You can contact the creditor who is suing you and try to set up a payment arrangement. Assuming you can reach an agreement, they can draft a settlement agreement that gets filed with the court and dismiss the case. I caution you that if you do this, however, that you make sure you are capable of making whatever payments you agree to, since typically such agreements stipulate that a default results in a judgment against you for the remaining balance without the need to return to court. This is likely your best option though.

Option two, you can answer the lawsuit, although it doesn't sound like you have any valid defenses (e.g., this isn't a mistake), and you haven't paid the loan, so the creditor is entitled to the money and will end up ultimately getting a judgment anyway. The same is true if you fail to file any answer at all - the creditor will get a default judgment. The problem with letting the creditor just get a judgment is that they can immediately proceed to try to collect upon it -through things like wage garnishment or seizure of assets, like your bank account.

The third option, bankruptcy, while it would wipe out your obligation, the co-signer is still on the hook - and now would be responsible for the whole thing. If they file for bankruptcy, it would remove the debt, and as far as their existing loan, they would have the option to "reaffirm" that debt, or tell the court they wish to continue paying on it, to keep their vehicle. Bankruptcy has significant ramifications, of course, and your co-signer may not want to file because of this debt.

If you need clarification or additional information, please REPLY and I'll be happy to assist you further. Thank you.