Consumer Protection Law

Consumer protection law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

BBB is treating me unfairly. Can you help? It has to do with…

Customer Question
BBB is treating me unfairly...
BBB is treating me unfairly. Can you help?
It has to do with my company getting families out of timeshare contracts.
I've been in the industry since 2008 and have helped ton of people get out of thier Timeshare obligations.
The problem is that another company that I was working with, stopped answering thier phone and I found a new more reliable Title Company.
The old title Company (Superior Vacations) out of Tennessee reported me to the BBB in Tennessee.
I never got to see the complaint or anything.
The BBB in Houston just changed my A rating to a NR in December.
Finally just today they emailed me saying that there will be a meeting in March and if I have any rebuttals to be considered, I need them sent in by Feb. 2nd.
Prior to this the BBB wanted to award me for having the most inquires of any company in the history of the BBB.
Offered me platinum sponsorship.
I paid the BBB $5,000.00 in September 2015 for the platinum sponsorship.
I have complied with everything they have ever asked of me.
So you can imagine my frustration.
Can you help ?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Consumer Protection Law
1/16/2016
Consumer Protection Lawyer: insearchoftheanswer, Lawyer replied 2 years ago
insearchoftheanswer

Good morning. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you.

I would attach the situation at it's source...i.e., the old title company. The old title company's actions would give you a cause of action for defamation. Let me explain what constitutes defamation first. Defamation can result from either slander or libel. Libel is defamation that can be seen...i.e, a writing, printing, effigy, movie,or statue. Slander is defamation that is spoken and heard. They are both civil injuries that harm reputation, cause a reduction in respect, regard or confidence, or cause disparaging, hostile or disagreeable opinions or feelings against an individual or entity. The laws regarding libel and slander are the same. To prevail in a defamation suit for libel or slander and recover damages, a person ("Person A") must prove 4 things: (i) another person ("Person B") conveyed a

defamatory message they knew or should have known to be false; (ii) the material was published (i.e., conveyed to someone other than Person A); (iii) Person A can be identified as the person referred to in the defamatory material; and (iv) Person A suffered an injury to Person A's reputation as a result of the communication. Your situation would satisfy the foregoing elements. Typically, before actually filing the suit, you would send them a letter detailing the situation and demanding that they: i) retract all prior defamatory statements made to the BBB and anyone else, and ii) cease and desist from making any in the future. In my experience, the letter is generally sufficient as the offending party will comply with your demands rather than risk the costs of a suit they are sure to lose, the actual and possibly punitive damages that may be imposed by a court, and the judgment being on the record.

Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your questions. I have done my best to provide information which fully addresses your question. If you have any follow up questions, please ask! If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service as OK, Good or Excellent (hopefully Good or Excellent). Otherwise, I receive no credit for assisting you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!

The old title company is nearly out of business. Also they have nothing no asserts.
What I need is to know who or how can I get the BBB to be fair and at least listen to me. As of now. They are giving me very little to know what they are looking for.
And a deadline of February 2, 2016 and a day in March to review what I provide.
They seem to have determined that I'm Bad and I am not.
This guy and his daughter who run the company have used someone to get them to make some complaint that is not true.
Tell me who I can contact / Hire to get this fixed once and for all.
I want an attorney who knows the Timshare industry to communicate with the BBB and fix this

Thanks for responding. Even if the title company may have no money, the guy and his daughter may have some money. And, if you were to get a judgment against them, it would stick to them for years and years. And, what you really want is not money, but a letter of retraction. And, if they issue the letter of retraction, then the BBB is going to be required to resolve this in your favor.

I'm very familiar with dealing with the BBB and with timeshares, but I would not be able to directly represent you with this. Under my terms of service with JustAnswer, I'm not allowed to make a specific recommendation, but I can give you direction. You would want to either contact the state bar association or your nearest law school for a referral. I prefer the latter because they take great pride in their graduates and will take a more personal interest in making sure your referral is a good one because it will be a reflection of the school.