How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Satisfied Customers: 118286
Experience:  Attorney experienced in commercial litigation.
Type Your Consumer Protection Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

We paid $19000 new heating/water unit with promise that the

Customer Question

We paid $19000 for a new heating/water unit with promise that the gas bill will be cut by half. The fact is the bill jumped up to double and the unit sporadically does not work. The plumbing company failed to fix the problem after 11 months of trying. They deny any responsibility. What is our legal entitlement?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
If the warranty promised to work properly and reduce costs, then they are in breach of warranty and you would need to pursue the manufacturer under breach of contract (warranty) and also for product liability for having a defective product that does not perform as they claim and finally for unfair and deceptive practices and misrepresentation for advertising the unit will do something it has not done (cut your bill in half or cut it at all).
You need to start by writing a letter to the manufacturer laying out what I said above and your facts. Inform them you are giving them a chance to refund your money in full including installation costs and you will not report this to the federal trade commission and consumer product safety bureau for investigation into their misrepresentation and unfair and deceptive practices and defective product, which could lead to a national recall of all of their products.
If they still refuse, your final option is suing them for breach of the warranty and misrepresentation and unfair and deceptive practices (which entitles you to sue if they refuse to correct the matter for up to triple damages plus attorney's fees).