How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask CalAttorney2 Your Own Question
CalAttorney2, Lawyer
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Satisfied Customers: 10244
Experience:  I am a civil litigation attorney representing individuals and businesses.
Type Your Consumer Protection Law Question Here...
CalAttorney2 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have two medical bills approximately $500.00 that are now

Customer Question

I have two medical bills approximately $500.00 that are now in collections. I asked the agency over the phone if I paid the bills in full would they remove them from my credit report and if so could I get it in writing. They said they wouldn't even consider it until they are paid. What can I do to get these completely removed once they are paid? I don't want to start paying or commit to anything until I get it in writing. What are my rights?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 1 year ago.

Dear Customer,

Unfortunately, you do not have a legal claim to force them to remove these accounts from your credit (if you continue to refuse to pay the amounts, the creditor can sue you for the unpaid balance, resulting in a judgment against you - the amount is very small, so this may be unlikely).

Once you pay, the amount will show as paid (even if the creditor refuses to remove the entry from your credit).

With all legal matters, make sure to document your communications - use "confirmation letters" to follow up to your phone calls or in person conversations - summarize who you talked to, what you talked about, any agreements you made, and what (if any) follow up action was to be taken by either party. Always keep copies.

Related Consumer Protection Law Questions