Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney experienced in commercial litigation.
10285032

In the California drought, there has been a tremendous need

Customer Question

In the California drought, there has been a tremendous need to reduce our water usage. Of which, I have done. I have installed new toilets, bought new washer. Anything that I could do to conserve water. Now Calwater has issued me for the month of January-April, only 8 CCF usage per month. a CCF is 778 gallons of water. I am a family of 5. That does not give me water to wash clothes, dishes, etc without being fined each month. For three months: Allowed 15ccf, I used 16, then allowed 10ccf, I used twelve. I have demonstrated my reduction in usage. 8 CCF per month is ridiculous!!!! What is my course of action? This is an example of a money making scheme for CalWater.
Thank You
Chrysi
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
I am afraid that you are not the first person we have had with your same situation. The problem is that there is no legal process other than filing an appeal with Cal Water based on the number of people living in the home to seek an increase. If they deny the increase, then legally there is nothing more you can do to make them increase.
The only other thing you can do is as some of my clients have been doing, install a tank for water on their property and purchase water to store on their property to use over and above the amount provided by CalWater.