Barrister, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney,16 years experience in consumer protection areas
19958803

I received a bill from Curascripts .00,and it did not say

Customer Question

I received a bill from Curascripts for 136.00,and it did not say what it was for. I have no information on this company and do not know of them.They are turning this over to a collection agency as of 12-15. We received this bill 12-17,but do not know what it is for,and never heard from them before.They do not answer their phone.What do I do?
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I will try my level best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can.

.

If you have no idea what the debt is for, then you can demand that the collection agency "validate the debt" by providing you with certain information about the original debt, how it was acquired, and how they have the authority to try to collect on it under the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act.

.

This is a template letter that you can use and plug in your specific information:

.

.

November 3, 20XX

.

Your Name

*****Address

Your City, ST 01234

.

ABC Collections

*****/p>

Chicago, IL

.

Re: Acct # *****

.

To Whom It May Concern:

.

This letter is being sent to you in response to a notice sent to me on September 30, 2012. Be advised that this is not a refusal to pay, but a notice sent pursuant to the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act, 15 USC 1692g Sec. 809 (b) that your claim is disputed and validation is requested.

.

This is NOT a request for “verification” or proof of my mailing address, but a request for VALIDATION made pursuant to the above named Title and Section. I respectfully ***** ***** your offices provide me with competent evidence that I have any legal obligation to pay you.

.

Please provide me with the following:

.

What the money you say I owe is for;

Explain and show me how you calculated what you say I owe;

Provide me with copies of any papers that show I agreed to pay what you say I owe;

Provide a verification or copy of any judgment if applicable;

Identify the original creditor;

Prove the Statute of Limitations has not expired on this account

Show me that you are licensed to collect in my state

Provide me with your license numbers and Registered Agent

.

At this time I will also inform you that if your offices have reported invalidated information to any of the 3 major Credit Bureau’s (Equifax, Experian or TransUnion) this action might constitute fraud under both Federal and State Laws. Due to this fact, if any negative mark is found on any of my credit reports by your company or the company that you represent I will not hesitate in bringing legal action against you for the following:

.

Violation of the Fair Credit Reporting Act

Violation of the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act

Defamation of Character

.

If your offices are able to provide the proper documentation as requested in the following Declaration, I will require at least 30 days to investigate this information and during such time all collection activity must cease and desist.

.

Also during this validation period, if any action is taken which could be considered detrimental to any of my credit reports, I will consult with my legal counsel for suit. This includes any listing any information to a credit reporting repository that could be inaccurate or invalidated or verifying an account as accurate when in fact there is no provided proof that it is.

.

If your offices fail to respond to this validation request within 30 days from the date of your receipt, all references to this account must be deleted and completely removed from my credit file and a copy of such deletion request shall be sent to me immediately.

.

I would also like to request, in writing, that no telephone contact be made by your offices to my home or to my place of employment. If your offices attempt telephone communication with me, including but not limited to computer generated calls and calls or correspondence sent to or with any third parties, it will be considered harassment and I will have no choice but to file suit. All future communications with me MUST be done in writing and sent to the address noted in this letter by USPS.

.

It would be advisable that you assure that your records are in order before I am forced to take legal action. This is an attempt to correct your records, any information obtained shall be used for that purpose.

.

Best Regards,

.

Your Signature

Your Name

.

.

Then if they can't provide most of the requested information, they are legally barred from trying to collect the debt under the FDCPA..

.

.

thanks