Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney experienced in commercial litigation.
10285032

Murray. On October 6 I noticed that there was eight

Customer Question

Customer: ***** ***** Murray. On October 6 I noticed that there was eight unauthorized charges to my debt card. I called and filed a claim with Chase. They only reimbursed me for the first six. The last two they said that since they were over sixty days they wer not required to reimburse me. The facts are the first six were over sixty days
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: The supervisor at the claims department said that Chase made a mistake. Chase refuses to listen to or provide me with a copy of the taped conversation. Chase won't reimburse me for the last two unauthorized charges
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Consumer Protection Law Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: yes
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Legally, credit card companies provide protection for unauthorized charges within the terms of their cardholder agreement. If their cardholder agreement states that the claim must be filed within 60 days of the charge, which is common (although some cards do give 90 days) then the bank is within the terms of their contract with you for not refunding claims outside of their contractual limits. This is because parties are expected to keep track of their account and giving them time to get their statement and then another 30 days or so to challenge the charge is what the courts hold to be "reasonable time."
If they made a mistake and refunded other charges outside of that time period, that is their error, but that does not mean they must do so for all charges and legally they could actually come back and reinstate the other charges as well if the claim was made with them beyond their cardholder contractual time limitation with you.
If you were to try to sue in court over this, the court would be bound by exactly what is written in your cardholder agreement, so all you can do with these charges is try to convince them to agree and if they will not, there is no legal cause of action that would bind them to do so I am sorry to say.