How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Infolawyer Your Own Question
Infolawyer, Lawyer
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Satisfied Customers: 6850
Experience:  Licensed attorney helping individuals and businesses.
Type Your Consumer Protection Law Question Here...
Infolawyer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Civil law: received a judgment notice that was entered

Customer Question

civil law : received a judgment notice that was entered against me in January of 2011 - it was for a debt that I had thru AMERICAN GENERAL FINANCIAL SVCS - just last week I woke up to find my savings account funds frozen and a wage garnishment order submitted at my place of work - the debt was charged off in 2010 by AGFS - a collection agency "LVNV" was the assignee on the paperwork and the judgment also named a lawyer - I hired a paralegal that filled out paperwork on my behalf so that I could obtain a hearing in court (to fight the facts that I was never properly served/informed) and to show that I had a document from the IRS in which AGFS had issued a 1099-C form stating that the debt had been cancelled in 2009 ,, at the hearing the judge denied my request to "SET ASIDE/DISMISS JUDGMENT" because the paperwork was improperly filled out ,,at the same time he advised the opposing counsel that in my paperwork i had showed proof of the document i had obtained from the IRS showed the debt as cancelled and advised them to take a real hard look at what they were doing as it put not only their client (LVNV funding/collection agency) at risk of being sued by me but they/counsel as well ,,, after the hearing was over I received a call from the attorney representing LVNV funding and he told me that he would show the judgment as satisfied but that he wanted me to send him the paperwork I had ,, I am not sure if I should do this as I am being told that I should not give any information until this judgment is removed and my funds are returned as well as the garnishment order lifted ?? what should I do ?? in the meantime even thought the judge pretty much alert them that I can go after them , I still have my savings account frozen and all I received was an email asking my employer to lift the garnishment order ? any advise ?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Alex J. Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Hello. My name is***** will be happy to answer your question.
I am sorry to hear about this unfortunate situation.

I am not permitted to tell what to do in their specific situation or list all of the legal rights that might potential apply in any specific situation, as such legal advice can only be provided by your local attorney, upon review of your entire case.

I can however, provide you with a general answer, if you have a legal question for me?

Thank you.