Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer
26798026

I have nephew that bought a vehicle as is, it lasted 10 days

Customer Question

I have nephew that bought a vehicle as is , it lasted 10 days and transmission went out what can be done about this . Paid cash 1800
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear that this happened.

Oklahoma Lemon Laws unfortunately do not apply to used vehicles. The sale of used cars are always as-is, and the seller is not responsible for anything that goes wrong after the sale unless there is an express warranty. It's up to the buyer to have a vehicle looked at by a mechanic before agreeing to the sale. This is true even when a car breaks down before the buyer gets it off the lot. There is unfortunately no cause of action against the seller unless there's evidence of misrepresentation or fraud. A seller is not required to disclose everything that might go wrong with a vehicle later, so misrepresentation would require an affirmative, untrue statement such as "The transmission was just replaced" when it clearly wasn't.

I apologize that this was probably not the Answer you were hoping to receive. However, it would be unfair to you and unprofessional of me were I to provide you with anything less than truthful and honest information. I hope you understand.

Good luck.