How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Satisfied Customers: 117359
Experience:  Attorney experienced in commercial litigation.
Type Your Consumer Protection Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

We have been dealing with a bad repair project year. Our

Customer Question

We have been dealing with a bad repair project for a year. Our contractor (bonded only, no insurance) hired a sub-contractor restoration firm (bonded/insured). The sub-contractor accepted the original contractors word that they would be paid (I have emails between them), but apparently no contract was signed. Now, the subcontractor informs me he has been told by the original contractor he is unable to pay the $39,000.00 bill. I have turned the matter over to my insurance company (All State), but am not confident they will pay. While I'm waiting to find out (if they will pay the subcontractor), I'd like to determine my "next steps." I am logging all contacts and have a photo history of the project. My wife and I are 72 and 73 years of age. There could be an elder abuse issue regarding a contractors lien my wife signed with the subcontractor, absent sufficient explanation, etc.
Thank you for your comments, advise. This is not a request to retain an atty at this time.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Have you filed a complaint with the bonding company, since the bond company is liable to cover these types of issues.
Your next recourse is to file a complaint with the Bond company the contractor has. If the bond company will not honor the claim, your subcontractor can place the contractor's lien on your property, but you also have grounds to sue the contractor as well, since your contract with them was for them to pay all subcontractor bills and they are now in breach of the contract.
At this point your contractor is breaching your contract with you, so that is the party you have a right to pursue, not the subcontractor who is caught in the middle on this matter.
I would at this point contact Adult Protective Services and report the contractor for financial abuse of the elderly. Also, you need to notify the state contractor's board against the contractor and additionally you notify the bond company since they are liable to cover damages and that is the purpose of the bond.

Related Consumer Protection Law Questions