Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer
26798026

I just received a check from Billtrust Financial Inc. for

Customer Question

I just received a check from Billtrust Financial Inc. for $3,950 and to return $3,600. Is this legit claim and not a scam.
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today.

Unfortunately, that is a scam. There's never a good reason for someone to send you a large check, ask you to cash it, and return most of the money to them. If the company really wanted to give you $350, they could simply send you a check for that amount. The cashier's check you're holding is fraudulent. What happens is, if you cash it, they have you wire transfer them money immediately. It is literally impossible to get that money back. Then a few days later, you'll find out from your bank that the check you deposited didn't clear, and they'll deduct $3,950 from your account (plus a returned item fee). If you don't have enough money in the bank to cover it, then you'll be overdrawn. Your legitimate payments, like rent or car payment could be returned. And you'll be assessed overdraft fees for those items. DO NOT CASH THAT CHECK.

Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Here's more information on cashier's check fraud from the Department of the Treasury.

http://www.occ.gov/news-issuances/consumer-advisories/2007/consumer-advisory-2007-1.html

And this article contains a report from someone else who was affected by the exact same scam.

http://www.silive.com/news/index.ssf/2015/04/warning_beware_of_mail_scams_t.html

If you have any questions or concerns about my response, please reply WITHOUT RATING. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.