Consumer Protection Law

Consumer Protection Law Questions? Ask a Lawyer Now.

Consumer Protection Law

I just received a judgement request to garnish my wages debt

Customer Question
I just received a judgement...
I just received a judgement request to garnish my wages for a debt made by LVNV funding LLC but do not know anything about the debt (how much owed, is it past statute of limitations, who the original creditor was...etc). How can I obtain this information before the scheduled court hearing Jan 5th 2016?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Consumer Protection Law
12/4/2015
Consumer Protection Lawyer: Maverick, Lawyer replied 1 year ago
Maverick
Maverick, Lawyer

Welcome to Just Answer (“JA”)! My name is Maverick. Please note that:

(A) The information we provide is general information. No attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by communicating with me. If you want legal advice, you must consult with a local attorney in person before acting or deciding not to act based on any information given here;

(B) When I feel that I have provided you with a complete answer, I will ask for you to assign a feedback rating so that JA will compensate me for my time; and

(C) You should not be concerned about any short delays between your questions and my replies. Please know that I answer most questions within the hour if I am signed on. If I am not signed on, then I still make every attempt to respond within 24 hours.

Thank you for taking the time to understand how this site works. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

Answer will follow in the pane below as per above parameters….

ANSWER:

Take a look at the copy of what you were served with. It should have some information about the cause number in which the judgment issued. You would then need to find the court file for that cause number and look to see what papers were filed leading up to the judgment. This should tell you the information that you are looking for.

You may want to file a motion to stay the garnishment based on a lack of service of process of the underlying suit in which the judgment was obtained. It sounds like you never had notice of that lawsuit so that you could defend yourself. If that is in fact the case, then you would need to move to vacate that judgment in the court that issued it on the grounds of improper service of process and thus lack of jurisdiction.

Maverick
Maverick
Maverick, Lawyer