How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Satisfied Customers: 116813
Experience:  Attorney experienced in commercial litigation.
Type Your Consumer Protection Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I received a 30 day late on my credit scores. This was my

Customer Question

I received a 30 day late mark on my credit scores. This was my marital home that was refinanced on May 27, 2015. Up to that time since separation my wife is contractual respnbile for the mortgage. She had been paying but did not pay May mortgage sicne it was to be refinanced. I discovered the bank (3rd fifth) says payoff was nto received til June 1. According to title comany there is a 3 day grace period before the payoff. My wife (or her mortgage co) miscalculated resulting in a 60 pint drop in my credit score. What is my best approach to resolve this? I called third fifith and they say they got the payoff too late and that why the delinq.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

You need to file a dispute with the credit bureau with a copy of your divorce order and copy of proof payment was made within the grace period and thus was not late and even if it was that there is a court order showing you were not liable for the payment. The credit bureau under the Fair Credit Reporting Act has 30-45 days to investigate and respond or remove the report. That is the process for correcting the mark. If they will not remove it, then you can sue your ex for damages for any loss of credit you suffer for her paying so late.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Do I need to file with all 3 bureaus? Is this online or via written mail? Any chance you have that info to where to send disputes? thanks.

Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your reply.

You would have to file it with each credit bureau that is reporting it. If you pull up your credit reports, you would see where to dispute each one. However here are the addresses for the credit bureaus to file your disputes: