Consumer Protection Law

Consumer Protection Law Questions? Ask a Lawyer Now.

Consumer Protection Law

My son purchased a use car on 11/17 and now they are saying

Customer Question
we need to bring the...
my son purchased a use car on 11/17 and now they are saying we need to bring the car back they cant find anyone to finance the loan there contract states they have 10 days to send a letter to return the car if they cant find financing what do i do
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Consumer Protection Law
12/3/2015
Consumer Protection Lawyer: Maverick, Lawyer replied 2 years ago
Maverick
Maverick, Lawyer

Welcome to Just Answer (“JA”)! My name is Maverick. Please note that:

(A) The information we provide is general information. No attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by communicating with me. If you want legal advice, you must consult with a local attorney in person before acting or deciding not to act based on any information given here;

(B) When I feel that I have provided you with a complete answer, I will ask for you to assign a feedback rating so that JA will compensate me for my time; and

(C) You should not be concerned about any short delays between your questions and my replies. Please know that I answer most questions within the hour if I am signed on. If I am not signed on, then I still make every attempt to respond within 24 hours.

Thank you for taking the time to understand how this site works. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

Answer will follow in the pane below as per above parameters….

1. Can you upload a copy of the contract for us to view?

2. Does it say 10 business days or just 10 days?

3. What is the post marked date on the envelope in which you received such a letter?

contract says10 days i have no way to down load the contract its from Ford we have not received a letter but they said on the phone they want the car back the contract is dated 11/17

Does it say what the consequence is for not informing you in 10 days?

no
Section of contract:Sellers Right To Cancel
seller shall give you written notice within 10 days of the date of the contract if seller elects to cancel the contract

Okay, so here is what the upshot would then. Normally when there is no financing available the dealer would be entitled to get the car back from you under a theory of unjust enrichment even if the dealer missed the 10 day notice period. The elements of an unjust enrichment claim are (1) a benefit conferred upon a defendant [you] by the plaintiff [dealer], (2) the defendant’s appreciation of the benefit, and (3) the defendant’s acceptance and retention of the benefit under circumstances that make it inequitable for the defendant to retain it without paying the value of the benefit.

So you can either return the car or try to obtain financing on your own. Also, if they want a rescission they need to give you all of your money back and you give them the car back. They should not benefit from the fact that they could not find financing for you.

If the dealer themselves could have financed you but chose not to with in the 10 day window, then they may be in breach of the contract and you may be forced to have then finance the car. But you will need to read the contract very carefully to see if this right exists.

thank you

your welcome...

Maverick
Maverick
Maverick, Lawyer