Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney experienced in commercial litigation.
10285032

Just talked to the Illinois tollway and they say I owe over

Customer Question

Just talked to the Illinois tollway and they say I owe over $6,000 in fines. Was stopped for suspended licences and need to get my licences back before court
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
What is your question for us regarding this matter?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How do I reduce the fine
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Also do I need a lawyer for court on the suspension license

Thank you for your reply.

You would have to try to negotiate the fine with them, arguing that you did not use the tollway or showing some proof that it may not have been you and it was someone else using the car during those times (you have to tell them who was using the car though). Other than negotiating with them, I am afraid they will not reduce the amount due. They can agree to a payment plan to allow you to pay off the fine.

In some years, IL has offered an amnesty program for toll violators, but they have not offered one in 2015, you can ask them about amnesty (they waive late fees and penalties) as part of your negotiations. Until you negotiate some payment plan or amnesty with them though, which you can use an attorney to do, they will not release the suspension on your license so an attorney could not file a suspension appeal hearing until those tolls are reduced or paid off.

It is all up to the toll authority though, as they have the power to negotiate to waive penalties and late fees to reduce the amount due and you have to negotiate that with them.