How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ely Your Own Question
Ely, Counselor at Law
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Satisfied Customers: 102379
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
Type Your Consumer Protection Law Question Here...
Ely is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Footes. I reside in Maryland and work in DC. A process

Customer Question

Hi my name is***** I reside in Maryland and work in DC. A process server tried to serve me at work; he was unable to do so because I did not go down stairs. The person who is trying to serve me started calling my job and arguing with my office manager and the office manager at another office about our policies. The person who filed the complaint was informed that the law firm do not accept service for personal reasons it has to be business. Since this is a personal matter she need to get me served. I feel that she is harassing my colleagues who do not have anything to do with my personal matter. Is there anything that I can do?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note:This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

I am sorry to hear about this situation. Actually, a process server may attempt to serve the Defendant at work. This is not unusual. However, there is a fine line between sending a process server in an attempt to serve someone (the office can simply turn them away and they would be out of luck), and personally calling the office to complain/harass.

The office/company can file a restraining order if they feel that the harassment warrants it. This is up to the company to decide.

Personally, someone in your situation can file a lawsuit against the Plaintiff for tortious interference with business, which can at times include employment. This is an option if their calls lead to termination/negative action by the company against you.

I hope this helps and clarifies. Please use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of TOP THREE FACES/STARS and then SUBMIT, as this is how experts get credit for our time. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars (or failing to submit the rating) does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith with a positive rating.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My office do not want to get involved. They just want to left out of this personal matter. I will get in contact with a local lawyer because this is embarrassment to me at my job where I have been for 13 years.
Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.

I understand. In that case, a local attorney can likely send a cease and desist letter threatening to file such a lawsuit if she continues. She may stop calling, but she can continue to try to serve even at work.

Gentle Reminder: Please, use REPLY or SEND button to keep chatting, or RATE POSITIVELY and SUBMIT your rating when we are finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating.

Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.

Hello again. This is a courtesy check in to see if you needed anything else in regards ***** ***** question. I am simply touching base. Let me know. Thanks!